14 Jul Position announcement: Postdoctoral Fellow in “Coastal processes, climate change and coastal management”
A postdoctoral position as part of the Coastal Social-Ecological Millennium Institute (SECOS) is available.
DURATION: Full time. 18 months, w/possibilities for extension until 36 months (i.e. through competitive Postdoc ANID grants).
DESCRIPTION: A postdoctoral position as part of the Coastal Social-Ecological Millennium Institute (SECOS) is available. SECOS Institute is formed by a multidisciplinary team of scientists from several Chilean universities, focused on coastal sustainability. Main objectives of SECOS are to understand global, regional, and local drivers of change; the social-ecological conditions that hinder sustainability; and to test and implement actions that unravel such conditions. Our work plan to accomplish these objectives, has been organized through the study of small- and medium-scale social-ecological experimental units, or learning platforms, which tackle key issues in artisanal fisheries, shellfish aquaculture, and coastal development as social-ecological systems (SES).
In particular, we look for a postdoctoral fellow to be part of the Coastal Development SES. Post-doctoral research could be directed towards one of the following areas:
- Modeling of coastal processes considering multiple stressors.
- Modeling of land use and land use changes in hydrographic basins according to different scenarios of climatic variability.
- Vulnerability, adaptive capacity and resilience of coastal systems (urban and rural territories).
- Economic analysis of coastal tourism and coastal development.
- Social-Ecological interactions in beach-dune systems.
LOCATION: The successful applicant can be based in any of the SECOS associated institutions in Chile, in Santiago (i.e., Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Universidad Santo Tomás, or Universidad Andrés Bello), Concepción (Universidad de Concepción), or Coquimbo (Universidad Católica de Norte). Intensive fieldwork will be required.
BACKGROUND: Ph.D., with a strong background in any of the disciplines involved in the scientific themes previously described: e.g., environmental economics, marine biology, ecology, sociology, among others. Interest in multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary research is required. The postdoc researcher will interact closely with senior scientists from different disciplines, and also with the local communities.
TO APPLY: Applicants should submit the following digital or hard copy files:
- Curriculum Vitae in extenso: LAST NAME, name – CV.
- Copies of degree certificates: LAST NAME, name – certificate.
- Cover letter: LAST NAME, name – letter.
- A statement of previous research achievements: LAST NAME, name –statement.
- Copies of relevant articles (maximum 3): LAST NAME, name – articles.
- A research plan (maximum 3 pages): LAST NAME, name – plan.
- 2 referees (with contact details): LAST NAME, name – referees
Applications should be sent until August 20th 2021, to: firstname.lastname@example.org
E-mail subject: SECOS Postdoc Application – Coastal Development – CANDIDATE LAST NAME
DATES: Preferred start date is September 1st, 2021 but is negotiable.
SALARY: The Postdoctoral fellow involves a monthly salary of around CLP$1.880.000.-
Applications should be submitted to:
Coastal Social-Ecological Millennium Institute (SECOS)
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile